Smoked Meatloaf and Roasted Cauliflower Mash

Post your favorite Beef Recipe

Smoked Meatloaf and Roasted Cauliflower Mash

Postby solson005 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:15 am

We decided it was finally time to try out meatloaf on the egg. After a quick inventory of what we had in the pantry and a couple of different recipes we ran to the store and got the rest of the stuff.

Ingredients:
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 package pork sausage
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (just a quick pulse of two heels of bread in the Cuisinart)
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
1 can Campbells cream of mushroom soup
1 egg
1 Tbl garlic powder
salt / pepper to taste

Stabalize Egg at 375° We used a handful of cherry and a handful of apple chips.
In a food processor, blend onion soup with bread crumbs.

Add bread crumb / onion mixture, mushroom soup, egg, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a large bowl containing the meat and mix together with hands until well combined. Shape into a loaf and bake until internal temperature reaches 170° just over 1 hour.
For the Cauliflower I went with combination between Guy Fieri's Roasted and Pureed Cauliflower
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/roasted-and-pureed-cauliflower-recipe/index.html
and Rachel Ray's Smashed Cauliflower
http://www.food.com/recipe/rachael-rays-smashed-cauliflower-257584

First I drizzled some olive oil, salt, and pepper on some cauliflower skewered on the firewire.
Then it went on the top tier of the CGW Swing Rack
Flipped the cauliflower after about 10 mins
After another 10 minutes I took the cauliflower inside and put it in a sauce pot and simmered it in milk until fork tender, saving ¼ of it to put on top of the mash.
Once they are fork tender they go in the food processor and start with half of the liquid and add more until you get the desired consistency. I added 1 cup of white cheddar cheese I shredded with the processor earlier.
I transferred the mash to a bowl and sprinkled some parmesan on top then foiled until the meatloaf was ready.

Here it is at 170° and the backyard smelled great!
We let it rest around 20 minutes and sliced it up
I can't believe we waited so long to make this. It was by far the best meatloaf I have ever made! The cauliflower was great and the pieces left whole were just as good! I will be making both of these recipes again in the future!
Then to top off a great meal a homemade Apple Crostata, it wasn't made on the egg but it could have been.

Just a little update I resealed / stained / protected all the cedar and mahogany. After almost two years old it still is looking great!
Large and Small Big Green Egg, Two-tier swing rack, and a Cedar pergola my Eggs call home.
solson005

Re: Smoked Meatloaf and Roasted Cauliflower Mash

Postby Kjs » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 pm

My wife and I were just talking about meatloaf on the ceramic cooker. This looks really good. I always enjoy your step-by-step photos...good job. Did you make the fish carving?
Kjs

Postby solson005 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:59 am

Kjs wrote:My wife and I were just talking about meatloaf on the ceramic cooker. This looks really good. I always enjoy your step-by-step photos...good job. Did you make the fish carving?

Thanks it was very good, I highly recommend it.

No it was a gift my sisters boyfriend found. It came out of a failed Asian Restaurant and is Philippine Mahogany, it took us awhile to figure out where to put it but I think it has found a great home and fits in with the history of the Kamodo Cooker.
Large and Small Big Green Egg, Two-tier swing rack, and a Cedar pergola my Eggs call home.
solson005

Postby Kjs » Wed May 01, 2013 9:31 pm

solson,

Finally got the chance to try this recipe, we loved it! Thanks for posting.
Kjs

Postby solson005 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:36 pm

@Kjs I'm glad you liked it. I need to make it again myself. It is so much better than a typical meatloaf!
solson005

Return to Beef