Two Two-Tiers in action!

Share your menu with us and post your pics

Two Two-Tiers in action!

Postby solson005 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:53 pm

I received some rubs and sauce from a gift exchange and decided to plan a meal to try it all out. It was from the Loveless Cafe in Tennessee.

So we have their dry rub, Peach-Q-Rub, Seasoned Salt, & Sweet with a bite sauce. I decided to go with a pork loin and the Peach-Q-Rub and Chicken Quarters with Adam Perry Lang's brine and then used the dry rub right before I threw it on the grill. Now it was raining like crazy all day but it cleared up right when it was time to light the eggs.

I got the small two-tier swing rack for my birthday on the 2nd of July and had both eggs going with searing on the small and finishing everything off indirectly on the large.

Some prep shots

I decided to give Mini Pommes Anna a shot http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/11/mini-herbed-pommes-anna

Then after heating up so garlic butter and herbs I added the slices in a muffin tin and poured the remaining butter mixture over top of them.

First up was the chicken on the small swing rack.

Then the pork loin

This was the best use of having multiple eggs, searing on one and indirect on the other!

Some corn and crisping up the potatoes to get them nice and crunchy

The backyard was smelling great!

I used some of the sauce to baste the chicken the last few minutes.

Here is a plated picture. The chicken and pork both turned out great! I will be using the rubs on all sorts of things. The potatoes were really good too and will be going in the rotation for sure.

And now the dessert! Peach cobbler in cast iron with the lid off to give it a hint of smoke.

It was a great meal and I got to try some new things.

Thanks for looking!
Large and Small Big Green Egg, Two-tier swing rack, and a Cedar pergola my Eggs call home.
solson005

Re: Two Two-Tiers in action!

Postby Gatorfan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Nice set up. love the double racks. How was the peach cobbler? It looked really good.
Gatorfan

Postby solson005 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Thank you, the peach cobbler was awesome. Here is the recipe:

4 tablespoons butter cut into 4 pieces and 8 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
3 cups (15 ounces) blueberries
1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups milk
DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 F. Place 4 tablespoons cut-up butter in a 9x13-inch baking pan and put in the oven until butter is melted, 5-7 minutes. Continue with the rest of the instructions, removing the pan from the oven when the butter is melted but leaving the oven on.
In a food processor, pulse 1/4 cup sugar and lemon zest in food processor until combined, about 5 pulses. Set aside. (If you don't have a food processor, combine the sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl and rub your fingers through the mixture until well combined.) Using a potato masher, in a medium bowl, mash the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of the lemon sugar until the berries are coarsely crushed.
In a large bowl, combine flour, remaining sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk in the milk and the 8 tablespoons melted butter until smooth. Pour batter into the baking dish with the melted butter. Dollop spoonfuls of the mashed blueberry mixture evenly over the batter. Sprinkle with the remaining lemon sugar and bake until golden brown and edges are crisp, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool 20-30 minutes before serving. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.

It was originally a Cook's Country magazine recipe. I used 2 cans of peach chunks in syrup (drained) in place of the blueberries. I used the lemon zest & sugar to top the cobbler. Pan in the egg as it heats up to 350°, pour in batter, then peaches, then zest / sugar mixture. 50 minutes until done.
Large and Small Big Green Egg, Two-tier swing rack, and a Cedar pergola my Eggs call home.
solson005

Postby Rmoe » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:39 am

very nice cook and setup, I love cooking dessert on the grill.
Rmoe

Postby solson005 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:41 am

Thanks @Rmoe we really enjoy it! I agree desserts on the grill are great, fruit, pies, cobblers, sweet pizzas, and even creme brûlée all come out great on the grill!
solson005

Postby Sgt93 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:08 pm

Eggcelent!
XL BGE - CGW 2 Tier - Weber Performer - Weber 22.5 - Weber Smokey Joe - Follow me on Twitter @Sgt93
-Steve
Sgt93

Return to What's Cookin